It's got flaky pie crust and a buttery creamy chicken pot pie filling with chicken breast, a mix of fresh and I initially wanted to make an easy chicken pot pie. So, I started out using refrigerated pie dough, all frozen vegetables, and all dried herbs. This classic Chicken Pot Pie is filled with tender pieces of chicken, carrot, celery, potato, and herbs.
Hello everybody, it’s me again, Dan, welcome to my recipe site. Today, I’m gonna show you how to prepare a distinctive dish, jo's chicken pot pie filling. It is one of my favorites. This time, I am going to make it a little bit tasty. This is gonna smell and look delicious.
Jo's Chicken Pot Pie Filling is one of the most well liked of current trending meals in the world. It is easy, it is fast, it tastes delicious. It is appreciated by millions every day. They’re fine and they look wonderful. Jo's Chicken Pot Pie Filling is something which I have loved my whole life.
To begin with this recipe, we must first prepare a few ingredients. You can cook jo's chicken pot pie filling using 31 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook it.
The ingredients needed to make Jo's Chicken Pot Pie Filling :
- Get of Filling.
- Take 5 of fresh garlic cloves, peeled and crushed*.
- Take 1 of medium red onion, peeled and chopped.
- Take 1 stick of Earth Balance dairy-free butter*, halved.
- Get 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Make ready 4 cups of cooked chicken, shredded and seasoned.
- Make ready 4-5 of fresh carrots, peeled and sliced.
- Get 1 cup of frozen peas.
- Prepare 2 cups of chicken stock.
- Take 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Make ready 1 cup of lactose-free half and half*.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of tapioca flour*.
- Take 3/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Make ready 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt, more or less to taste*.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of dried parsley.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of celery seed.
- Take 2-3 dashes of dried oregano.
- Take 1 of generous pinch smoked paprika.
- Make ready 1-2 dashes of Vietnamese cinnamon.
- Get 6 of large fresh basil leaves, chopped.
- Prepare 1 of deep dish 9" pie pan or skillet, buttered/floured or oiled.
- Take of Prepared dough for 2 9" pie crusts.
- Get of room temp water or egg-wash (whisked egg + milk) for brushing.
- Get of Substitution Notes.
- Make ready 3 tbs of cornstarch can be subbed for tapioca flour.
- Get 1 1/4 tbs of garlic granules can be subbed for garlic cloves.
- Take of traditional salted butter can be subbed for dairy-free butter.
- Make ready of amount of carrots depends on size; organic tends to be slimmer.
- Get of amount of salt depends on if butter and stock is unsalted.
- Make ready of reg half/half is ok, but gut will probably prefer lactose-free.
- Make ready of precooked seasoned breast meat or rotisserie chicken is ideal.
It's cozy comfort food that's wonderful in the winter! Sometimes people think of chicken pot pie as boring freezer food, but when it's done right, made from scratch, it can be really delicious and satisfying. Drizzle the pastry with olive oil, then. This Chicken Pot Pie recipe is made by poaching uncooked chicken in stock and milk which is then used as the broth for the creamy filling.
Instructions to make Jo's Chicken Pot Pie Filling :
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit. If your oven runs extra hot and has a tendency to obliterate your food, try 375..
- Prep your ingredients – peel and chop your onion and crush your garlic, set aside. Rinse, peel and slice carrots into thin coins. Measure out peas and let them sit at room temperature. Roughly chop basil and set aside separately..
- Lightly rinse a large saucepan and shake out excess water into the sink. Set it on low-medium heat on the stove. Once water droplets have evaporated, melt 1/2 stick of butter plus 1 tbs olive oil in pan. Let it heat thoroughly for a couple of minutes. Stir or swirl the pan for even heat distribution and to prevent premature browning or burning. Adjust heat as needed..
- Add onions and garlic into the pan, and sautee for a few minutes until onions are translucent and garlic is lightly browned. Add in remaining butter and oil, and heat through..
- Once additional butter has melted, stir in carrots and peas into the pan. Once carrots are cooked but still slightly firm, add lemon juice, chicken stock, and basil. Stir occasionally..
- In a separate container, mix half and half and tapioca flour together. Whisk until blended and smooth. Gently pour into pan and stir..
- Continue to stir and let the mixture thicken for a minute or two, then add in the pre-cooked shredded chicken. Add in herbs and spices. Taste and add desired amount of salt. Stir to combine. Turn heat down to a simmer and stir frequently as the mixture comes together and is heated through. Do not boil..
- Remove the pan from heat. Gently pour mixture into prepared crust pan. (pictured: my plant-based pie crust).
- Carefully take premade top crust and cover the filling. Using your index fingers and thumbs, firmly pinch the edges to seal the top of the pie. You can trim excess dough with food-safe scissors. Take a fork or butter knife and gingerly make 3 small slits starting at the center of the pie and outward to create ventilation. Evenly brush the top and edges with prepared egg-wash or water..
- Cover the edges of the pie crust with foil to prevent premature browning. Place pie in heated oven on the center rack, and place a foiled cookie sheet on the rack below to catch any drips. Let bake for 35-40 minutes..
- Check on pie. If top is still heavily doughy, add time in 5 minute increments until top is golden brown. If filling bubbles up, it's okay! And if the top of the pie crust is mostly golden brown but has some slightly softer spots it's okay; it will keep cooking outside of the oven. Remove from oven with mitts and let it sit on top of the stove for 10 minutes. Place on cooling rack for at least 25 min before serving to let it set. Caution: it will be hot. As pies directly from the oven tend to be..
- Cut desired portions and transfer to plates. Serve it with joy and pride..
Here's what goes in Chicken Pot Pie. Nothing unusual here – but just a couple of comments on some of the ingredients: Stock powder – this adds more flavour in. This Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe is made from scratch and has a whole wheat biscuit crust! If you plan on baking this homemade chicken pot pie recipe in something other than the cast iron skillet used to cook the filling, then now is the time to transfer it to your preferred baking dish! Fill with the chicken and vegetable mixture, then top with frozen peas.
So that is going to wrap it up for this special food jo's chicken pot pie filling recipe. Thanks so much for your time. I am sure that you can make this at home. There’s gonna be more interesting food at home recipes coming up. Don’t forget to save this page on your browser, and share it to your family, colleague and friends.
Don’t forget to share with friends via social media, instagram , fecebook , twitter or whatsapp Thank you for reading , go on get cooking!.