Remove from oven, and transfer to a wire rack until completely cooled. If Key limes aren't available in your grocery store, look for bottled Key lime juice near the other bottled lime juices. Cool the baked crust, and add the Key lime filling.
Hey everyone, it’s Jim, welcome to my recipe page. Today, I’m gonna show you how to prepare a distinctive dish, key lime pie. It is one of my favorites food recipes. This time, I’m gonna make it a bit tasty. This is gonna smell and look delicious.
Key Lime Pie is one of the most popular of recent trending foods on earth. It is easy, it’s quick, it tastes yummy. It is appreciated by millions daily. Key Lime Pie is something that I have loved my whole life. They are fine and they look wonderful.
To begin with this recipe, we must prepare a few components. You can cook key lime pie using 10 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you can achieve it.
The ingredients needed to make Key Lime Pie :
- Get 1 can of sweetened condensed milk.
- Make ready 4 of egg yolks.
- Get 1/2 cup of lime juice (fresh squeezed or from the bottle).
- Take of Meringue.
- Get 4 of egg whites.
- Prepare 6 Tbsp. of sugar.
- Get 1/2 tsp of cornstarch.
- Make ready pinch of salt.
- Make ready of Pie crust.
- Take of Your choice: Graham cracker, Oreo and/or traditional work.
Key lime pie is a great basic recipe to customize to your liking. You can substitute nuts, cookies or even saltines for the traditional graham cracker crumbs. We've got plenty of ideas for crumb crusts to inspire you. Key lime pie ingredients are simple: sweetened condensed milk, lots of lime zest and juice (preferably from key limes), and just enough egg to give it a good set.
Steps to make Key Lime Pie :
- My Key Lime pie recipe may be a bit misleading as there are no Key Limes in it…. By all means if you have some available hold true to the namesake of this yummy dessert but don't worry if you have plain old limes or in my case lime juice in a bottle….
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees while you separate your egg yolks. The meringue is optional but coincidentally calls for 4 egg whites so I decided I might as well…..
- Put the egg yolks, a 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk, and the lime juice in a bowl. Beat at a medium speed until combined. Note: if you like a milder lime flavor you can reduce the amount of lime juice….
- I used a ready made graham cracker crust but the fun thing about pies is the mix-and-match to make it your own. If you made a crust from scratch make sure you follow the baking instructions for your recipe… I just had to pour the pie filling in the crust no other efforts needed…..
- Oh and if you use a ready made crust, leave the edging up to help hold on the meringue in a later step..
- To bake the pie you need to decide first if you are going to put on a meringue. If you are NOT using a meringue, bake for 15 minutes. IF you ARE using a meringue bake the pie for 10 minutes and move on to step 7 while you are waiting for the pie to cook… Sorry for all the CAPS, geeze there I go again…..
- Meringue instructions are all over the internet cooking world, if you do not have a go to recipe here's what I do… Place the sugar, cornstarch, and pinch of salt in small container, stir once and keep it close by. Place the 4 egg whites that you had left over from baking the pie in a bowl and beat on a high speed until you have "soft peaks"…
- Once you have "soft peaks" (or you start to see your beater tracks) then gradually add the dry ingredients while continuing to beat on a medium high setting. Continue beating until all ingredients are well incorporated and you have "stiff peaks"….
- That whole meringue making process should have occupied you while your pie baked for 10 minutes… Once your times up remove pie from oven (I really hummed and hawed about including that last step but you can never be too careful). Spoon the meringue onto your mostly cooked pie keeping in mind to be gentle with all those air bubbles you just beat into it…..
- Once all the meringue is on the pie, gently pat with a rubber spatula or whatever you have available. The idea is to give the texture as seen in the picture…..
- Bake the pie for another 10 minutes at 375 degrees on an oven rack adjusted to slightly above the middle… The higher level in the oven allows the meringue to brown slightly. Other options are to use the broiler setting or a kitchen torch… That can go bad quickly though so make sure you know what you are doing and where the nearest fire extinguisher is….
Pour the filling into a pre-baked graham cracker crust, bake briefly until the pie is set, and let it chill. Top the pie with whipped cream and serve. Stir with a fork first, and then your hands until the mixture is well combined. Key lime pie has been a Southern favorite dessert for more than a century, and anyone who can't resist that cool, creamy texture knows why. A true Key lime pie shouldn't be bright, faux green but instead a soft yellow.
So that’s going to wrap it up for this special food key lime pie recipe. Thank you very much for your time. I’m confident you can make this at home. There is gonna be interesting food at home recipes coming up. Remember to bookmark this page on your browser, and share it to your loved ones, friends and colleague.
Don’t forget to share with friends via social media, instagram , fecebook , twitter or whatsapp Thank you for reading , go on get cooking!.