Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name). However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland (where using beef would make this a cottage pie), beef became a common substitute, especially in America where it's more widely available than ground lamb. In England, the birthplace of this hearty dish, shepherd's pie is most often made with a ground-lamb filling.
Hey everyone, it’s me again, Dan, welcome to our recipe page. Today, we’re going to prepare a special dish, shepherds pie. One of my favorites food recipes. This time, I’m gonna make it a bit unique. This will be really delicious.
Shepherds Pie is one of the most popular of recent trending meals on earth. It’s appreciated by millions daily. It’s simple, it’s quick, it tastes yummy. They are nice and they look wonderful. Shepherds Pie is something that I’ve loved my whole life.
To get started with this particular recipe, we have to prepare a few components. You can have shepherds pie using 19 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you can achieve it.
The ingredients needed to make Shepherds Pie :
- Take 600 grams of Minced lamb.
- Prepare 300 grams of Potatoes, peeled and chopped.
- Make ready 300 grams of Peeled and chopped carrots and turnip.
- Take 30 grams of Butter.
- Take 1 dash of Milk.
- Take 1 of Onion.
- Make ready 1 clove of Garlic.
- Take 1 of Sprig rosemary.
- Prepare 1 pinch of Salt and pepper.
- Get of Gravy.
- Prepare 200 ml of Lamb/beef stock.
- Take 1 tbsp of Tomato purée.
- Get 1 of Bay leaf.
- Get 1 dash of Olive oil.
- Get 1 tsp of (Heaped) plain flour.
- Take 1 pinch of Each Dried sage, rosemary, thyme.
- Prepare of Garnish.
- Make ready 2 tbsp of Grated mature cheddar.
- Prepare 1 of Tomato, sliced.
In the States, people use ground beef, which is what we call. In England (and Australia and New Zealand) they would call the beef dish a "cottage pie" and the lamb dish "shepherd's pie". Regardless of what you call it, a shepherd's pie is basically a casserole with a layer of cooked meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes, and baked in the oven until the mashed potatoes are well browned. This shepherd's pie features the traditional minced lamb, but from there the recipe takes things in a sweet-and-savory direction. "This is a Moroccan take on shepherd's pie," says Maryam. "With lamb and turmeric simmered with cinnamon, raisins, and sweet potato.
Instructions to make Shepherds Pie :
- Chop onion and garlic, place in pan with rosemary sprig, lamb mince and seasoning. Brown mince, drain the fat off and set aside..
- In a pan, boil the potatoes, carrot and turnip. When soft, turn off heat, drain water, add the butter and milk and mash together. Set the mash aside..
- Make the gravy. Make up the stock in a jug, add the dried herbs, bay leaf and the tomato purée and mix. Set aside. In a saucepan, heat the olive oil, add the flour and mix well. Gradually add the stock, stirring all the while until you have a nice gravy consistency..
- Now bring it all together. Place the mince in a casserole dish. Pour over the gravy. Spread the mash over the top making peaks with a fork. Sprinkle over the cheese (don't use a lot of cheese or it will overpower the pie), put a few tomato slices on top. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes..
This dish also looks pleasant and each happy eater gets their own ramekin!" Directions. In a large bowl, mash potatoes with sour cream. Add salt and pepper; set aside. In a large skillet, cook beef with onion and red pepper until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. The Best Classic Shepherd's Pie – AKA Shepards Pie or Cottage Pie.
So that is going to wrap this up for this exceptional food shepherds pie recipe. Thank you very much for your time. I’m confident that you can make this at home. There is gonna be interesting food in home recipes coming up. Remember to save this page on your browser, and share it to your family, colleague and friends.
Don’t forget to share with relatives via social media, instagram , fecebook , twitter or whatsapp Thank you for reading , go on get cooking!.