With a kitchen blowtorch, gently go over the meringue until a toasted color is achieved. Using two dull butter knives or a pastry blender, blend the flour, salt and shortening until the shorten Lemon Meringue Pie is a light and refreshing pie. A creamy lemon filling is topped with a light and airy meringue.
Hey everyone, it is Jim, welcome to my recipe site. Today, I will show you a way to make a distinctive dish, diner style lemon meringue pie. One of my favorites. For mine, I will make it a bit unique. This will be really delicious.
Diner Style Lemon Meringue Pie is one of the most popular of current trending meals on earth. It’s enjoyed by millions daily. It’s simple, it’s quick, it tastes delicious. Diner Style Lemon Meringue Pie is something which I’ve loved my entire life. They are fine and they look wonderful.
To begin with this recipe, we must first prepare a few ingredients. You can have diner style lemon meringue pie using 22 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you can achieve it.
The ingredients needed to make Diner Style Lemon Meringue Pie :
- Make ready 1-9 inch of deep dish pie crust.
- Prepare of Filling:.
- Get 1/2 cup of cornstarch.
- Take 1 cup of granulated sugar.
- Get 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Make ready of Zest of 2 lemons.
- Take 2 1/2 cups of water.
- Get 1/4-1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice. *See note*.
- Take 3 tablespoons of butter not margarine.
- Make ready 4 of egg yolks (keep whites for meringue).
- Prepare of Mile High Meringue:.
- Make ready 4 of egg whites.
- Prepare 4 tablespoons of granulated sugar.
- Prepare Pinch of salt.
- Get 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Prepare of Secret to no weep meringue:.
- Get 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar.
- Get 1 tablespoon of cornstarch.
- Make ready 1/2 cup of water.
- Take of Note:.
- Get of I like mine slightly tart so I use 1/2 cup lemon juice.
- Prepare of Use 1/4 cup or to your preference for sweeter or tangier filling.
Nothing screams summer like a homemade lemon meringue pie. Top the warm pie with the meringue by placing large spoonfuls around edges of pie first to seal to the crust, then fill in center and smooth top of pie, leaving it slightly higher in center. Make decorative soft peaks with the back of a spoon. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Steps to make Diner Style Lemon Meringue Pie :
- Make your own 9 inch crust or use frozen. Bake at 350 until light golden brown. Cool completely..
- In heavy bottom sauce pan, combine sugar, cornstarch and water. Stir until dissolved..
- Heat over medium heat,stirring often,until thick and bubbling slightly..
- Whisk egg yolks and add 3 spoons of hot thickened filling to temper eggs stirring constantly..
- Add butter, lemon zest, lemon juice and tempered eggs into thickened mixture and stirring constantly cook until mixture thickens more and bubbles slightly..
- Pour filling into pre baked crust. Set on wire rack to cool..
- Wash pan and add 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Whisk..
- Stir in 1/2 cup water and cook until mixture thickens and starts to look like it is getting clear..
- Set aside to cool completely..
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add in the 4 tablespoons of sugar and vanilla..
- Beat to incorporate. Add the cooled mixture to egg whites and continue beating until stiff peaks form..
- Spread meringue over pie and with spoon slightly tap top and pull up to form small peaks..
- Brown in 350 degree oven until light brown..
- Cool completely and refrigerate covered in cake carrier so the meringue doesnt get messed up..
- Cool completely. I usually make mine a day ahead and let it chill overnight..
To Make Meringue: In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust. The lemon filling, thickened with corn starch, is so good on its own, you'll want to lick it right off the spoon (but resist the temptation! It's made with raw egg yolk).
So that’s going to wrap this up with this exceptional food diner style lemon meringue pie recipe. Thank you very much for reading. I’m confident that you will make this at home. There’s gonna be interesting food at home recipes coming up. Remember to bookmark this page in your browser, and share it to your family, colleague and friends.
Don’t forget to share with friends via social media, twitter , whatsapp , instagram or fecebook Thanks again for reading , go on get cooking!.