In England (and Australia and New Zealand) they would call the beef dish a "cottage pie" and the lamb dish "shepherd's pie". Regardless of what you call it, a shepherd's pie is basically a casserole with a layer of cooked meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes, and baked in the oven until the mashed potatoes are well browned. In England, the birthplace of this hearty dish, shepherd's pie is most often made with a ground-lamb filling.
Hey everyone, it’s Drew, welcome to our recipe site. Today, I’m gonna show you how to make a distinctive dish, shepherd's pie. It is one of my favorites food recipes. For mine, I will make it a bit tasty. This will be really delicious.
Shepherd's Pie is one of the most popular of recent trending meals in the world. It is simple, it is fast, it tastes delicious. It’s appreciated by millions every day. They’re fine and they look wonderful. Shepherd's Pie is something that I have loved my entire life.
To get started with this recipe, we have to first prepare a few ingredients. You can cook shepherd's pie using 18 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
The ingredients needed to make Shepherd's Pie :
- Make ready For of the filling:.
- Make ready 200 gms of chicken mince.
- Prepare 1 of onion finely chopped.
- Get 2 tbsp of grated carrots.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of ginger garlic paste.
- Make ready 1/2 tsp of pepper.
- Take 1/2 tsp of rosemary (or any herb of your choice).
- Take 3 tbsp of tomato puree.
- Get 2 tbsp of tomato sauce.
- Get 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare 1 of bay leaf.
- Make ready 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare As per taste of Salt to sate.
- Get For of the topping:.
- Take 2 of large potatoes.
- Prepare 1 of egg yolk (optional).
- Make ready 2 tsp of butter.
- Get to taste of Salt.
In the States, people use ground beef, which is what we call. Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name). However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland (where using beef would make this a cottage pie), beef became a common substitute, especially in America where it's more widely available than ground lamb. A common casserole that originated in the UK, a shepherd's pie is that all-in-one meal that includes richly seasoned beef, vegetables, and a lovely light mashed potato topping.
Instructions to make Shepherd's Pie :
- To prepare the filling, heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add in the bay leaf and the finely chopped onions and saute..
- When the onions begin to get translucent, add in the chicken mince, ginger garlic paste, grated carrots, salt and pepper and mix well. Cover it with a lid and cook until done..
- Add in the tomato puree, tomato sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well and cook for a few minutes. Ensure that the filling is not too dry. You can add water or stock if required..
- For the topping, boil the potatoes in salted water. Mash them well. Add in the butter and egg yolk. Mix well. Add in more salt if required..
- To assemble the pie, in an oven proof dish, create an even layer of the filling. Top it with the mashed potatoes and smoothen it out. Create a design of your choice with a fork..
- Bake it at 220 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown. Serve hot..
Some have cheese, others include diced potatoes, and still, some have a variety of meats, but this is the one and only classic that my family begs me to make. This shepherd's pie features the traditional minced lamb, but from there the recipe takes things in a sweet-and-savory direction. "This is a Moroccan take on shepherd's pie," says Maryam. "With lamb and turmeric simmered with cinnamon, raisins, and sweet potato. Drain potatoes and pour them into a bowl. Combine sour cream, egg yolk and cream. Add the cream mixture into potatoes and mash until.
So that is going to wrap this up for this special food shepherd's pie recipe. Thanks so much for your time. I am confident that you can make this at home. There’s gonna be more interesting food at home recipes coming up. Remember to bookmark this page on your browser, and share it to your family, friends and colleague.
Don’t forget to share with relatives via social media, instagram , fecebook , twitter or whatsapp Thank you for reading , go on get cooking!.