Breaking up the salt cod with your fingers, place pieces of salt cod in a layer over the potatoes. Drain and place in a saucepan. Flake the fish and stir into the cream sauce.
Hey everyone, it’s Drew, welcome to my recipe site. Today, I will show you a way to make a special dish, salt cod with cream and potatoes. It is one of my favorites. For mine, I am going to make it a bit unique. This will be really delicious.
Salt Cod With Cream and Potatoes is one of the most popular of current trending meals in the world. It is simple, it’s quick, it tastes yummy. It is enjoyed by millions daily. Salt Cod With Cream and Potatoes is something that I’ve loved my whole life. They are nice and they look wonderful.
To begin with this recipe, we must prepare a few components. You can have salt cod with cream and potatoes using 15 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you can achieve it.
The ingredients needed to make Salt Cod With Cream and Potatoes :
- Get of medium onions, finely sliced.
- Make ready of butter.
- Get of flour.
- Make ready of milk.
- Take of garlic cloves finely diced.
- Make ready of Olive oil.
- Take of Ground nutmeg.
- Make ready of salt cod fillets.
- Take of double cream.
- Get of potatoes, cut into cubes.
- Prepare of Oil for frying.
- Take of Salt.
- Prepare of Ground black pepper.
- Make ready of Bay leaves.
- Get of grated cheese.
Serve the fish sauce over opened baked potatoes with the grated egg yolk sprinkled on top. Dried, salted cod (bacalhau) and potatoes in a rich cream sauce is a traditional Portuguese dish. Plan ahead, as the salt cod needs time to soak. Wash and dry the fillet of cod.
Steps to make Salt Cod With Cream and Potatoes :
- To remove the salt from the cod, place it in cold water for 24 hours, skin side up. Change the water a few times..
- Cook the cod in the milk over medium heat for about about 10 minutes. Remove the cod with a slotted spoon once cooked through and set aside to cool enough to handle. Strain the milk with a sieve and set aside..
- Fry the potatoes in a deep fryer over medium-low heat. If the heat is maxed the potatoes will burn on the outside but still be raw on the inside so they need to fry low and slow. Remove onto a plate lined with kitchen roll..
- Once the cod is cooled enough to handle, using your fingers flake the fish, removing any fish bones as you go. Set aside when done..
- To make the sauce, heat the butter over low-medium heat and whisk in the flour in. Cook for 5 minutes stirring regularly..
- Mix the double cream with the cooled milk and slowly bit by bit stir into the floured mixture until it thickens. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Continue until the milk has all been added and the mixture is smooth and creamy..
- Next heat olive oil over medium heat and fry the bay leaves and onions until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and fry for another minute or less..
- Add the flaked code and potatoes and fry for 3-5 minutes. Mix in well 2/3 of the sauce..
- Transfer to an ovenproof dish. Top with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with grated cheese and place in a preheated oven until the cheese has melted and the top is lightly browned (about 20 minutes)..
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving..
Mix together the salt and sugar. Sprinkle half of the salt and sugar into a baking tray and lay the fish on top. Cover with the remaining salt and sugar and pack tightly. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper. Spread half of the potatoes over the bottom of the prepared dish.
So that is going to wrap it up for this special food salt cod with cream and potatoes recipe. Thanks so much for reading. I’m confident you will make this at home. There’s gonna be interesting food in home recipes coming up. Remember to bookmark this page on your browser, and share it to your loved ones, colleague and friends.
Don’t forget to share with relatives via social media, fecebook , twitter , whatsapp or instagram Thank you for reading , go on get cooking!.